Excitement and Caution
I look ahead with both excitement and caution.
Why excitement? Because this is the beginning of a new writing life. I have resigned my teaching position and look forward to investing more time in crafting fiction and poetry.
And the reason for caution? I have been quite sick these last six months and therefore lost a lot of strength and stamina. I long to fling myself into projects around the house putting away messes that have accumulated during this difficult school year, and earlier. However, last summer when I was recovering from mononucleosis, I learned that it’s great to have goals and to work toward them, but I cannot hold myself to stiff deadlines when my health is so unpredictable. Last summer I ended up pretty depressed that I did not get enough done.
However, this year will be different because my “deadlines” can extend past September for the first time in five years.
What I am Looking Forward to This Summer
Sleeping in! I am still so very tired and often sleep twelve-hour nights when an alarm is not required. But, once I wake up I will be eager to either begin or resume:
- daily reading (multiple topics, most blog or web-based) each morning as I enjoy my mocha
- exercising to rebuild my strength and stamina
- road tripping with my husband (He is an awesome travel partner!)
- spending quality time with my delightful grandkids–over-nighters, lunch-dates accompanied by trips to the bookstore, crafting together….
- finishing the final revision of The Swallow’s Spring, my folkloric fantasy novel
- finishing revisions on my Mt. Rainier middle grade poetry book, Wandering Mt Rainier, and beginning the submission process
- putting my guest/library/craft room back together (We packed everything, moved new things in, and made messes last summer but did not even come close to completing the job before school started last September.)
And in the Fall?
In addition to continuing any healthy practices developed in the summer and completing my summer goals, I plan to:
- expand this blog
- begin hunting for an agent to represent my fiction
- write, research, write, revise, edit, and write some more!
What are your plans for the summer? What are your dreams for next fall? Please share using the comment box below. Let’s encourage one another!