Yesterday was National Tell a Fairy Tale Day. I know. It probably would have been nice to know that yesterday. However, fairy tales are something that can be appreciated any day, right?
Here are a couple of cool quotes about fairy tales:
“If I am honest, I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales, and I like them best of all.” Audrey Hepburn
“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” Albert Einstein
“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us dragons exist, but that they tell us dragons can be beaten.” G.K. Chesterton
Fairy Tales and Me
Like Ms. Hepburn, I have always loved fairy tales. Here’s some fun facts about me and the fairy tales in my life.
- My favorite book of fairy tales: The Princesses: Sixteen Stories Selected by Sally Patrick Johnson
- One of my most shameful confessions: I checked The Princesses out of my school library and never returned it. Yes, that means I’m a book thief.
- My favorite fairy tale: “The Light Princess,” by George MacDonald
- My favorite fairy tale movie: Disney’s animated version of “Sleeping Beauty.” I know they got a bit creative with the storyline, however, due to this film, I fell in love with Gothic architecture and art before the age of 5!
- My first publishing credit: “The Frost King’s Dowry,” a retelling of a Russian folk tale, published in Cricket magazine
- My most recent publishing credit: a poem, “Dishwater Dreaming,” a poem inspired by the tale “Donkeyskin,” published in Enchanted Conversation Magazine, June 28, 2018
- My favorite fairy tale blog: fairytalemagazine.com
What are some of your fairy tale favorites or the fairy tale milestones in your life? Please share your thoughts in the comment box. Let’s inspire and encourage each other!