Yesterday, I had an awesome day with one of my best friends. We’ve known each other since I was five-years-old. We’ve done a lot of “life” together, and she is a beta-reader and encourager of my writing. One of the things that made it awesome (besides going to the craft store, eating decadent fudge for a our afternoon snack, and doing an entire jigsaw puzzle in one afternoon–okay, confession, it took us until midnight) was she sat down with this blog, asked me questions, provided some pointed critiques, and made lot of useful suggestions.
The question that floored me was, “Who is your reader?” This was accompanied by the observation that lots of times I talk about writing as a profession, and when I do, it makes her feel like this blog is really only intended for pros. Whoa!
That rules out a lot of my intended readership, including her!
So Who am I Writing To?
The stated purpose of Literate Lives is to encourage a reading/writing lifestlye. This means I want to encourage a lifestyle that invests in reading and writing as a means of enrichment for anyone.
Anyone? That’s Kind of Vague
Yeah, it is isn’t it. Here are some mini portraits of potential Literate Lives readers:
- someone who once loved to read but has been having a hard time prioritizing that pleasure in their life
- someone who loves to read and loves to celebrate the pleasures and rewards of prioritizing reading in their lives
- someone who interacts with young people and wants to facilitate skill and pleasure in reading, as well as writing, in these young people.
- someone who enjoys journaling, letter writing, or otherwise capturing their thoughts and lives on paper or on screen
- someone who aspires to be a professional writer, or already is, that can use a little encouragement
- someone who is interested in the lives of writers
- someone who enjoys multiple fiction genres, but has a special love for fantasy
- someone who enjoys fiction across multiple age levels: that written for adults, young adults, and middle graders–kids from third to eighth grade
A Whole Lot of Anyones!
There is work I need to do. Some of it is as simple as making some changes to the actual appearance of my blog to make it more reader friendly. Some of it is much broader, like tracking the kinds of posts I write and making sure I write across this broad range of readership.
Your feedback is highly valued. What can I do that would make following my blog a better experience for you ?