Read for at least twenty to thirty minutes.
Think about what you have read.
Answer the following questions:
- In what year does your story take place?
- In what season does your story take place?
- Where does your story take place?
- At what time of day does your story take place?
- What is the mood of the portion of the story you just read?
Look over your answers, and then explain how the author communicated all this information to you. Consider:
- Direct statements?
- Word choice?
- Sensory details?
- Metaphors or similes/comparisons?
- The plot action?
Share your conclusions with your reading partners, and appreciate the unique details of each person’s reading experience.
Enjoy a picture book with your preschooler.
When done ask the following questions:
- When did this story take place?
- Where did this story take place?
- Would you like to visit the world of this story?
- Why or why not?
Have a conversation with your preschooler. Consider dreaming up a list of places you and your child would like to go.