Read for at least twenty to thirty minutes.
Reflect & Write
Think about what you have read.
- Does the story arouse any particular feelings in you?
- Does the story make you think about what its like to feel that way?
- How did the author do this?
- What elements of the setting contribute to this feeling?
- What aspects of the characters and their experiences contribute to this feeling?
- What other characteristics of the writing contribute to this feeling?
Write/Discuss: your responses with your reading partners.
Read: a picture book with your preschooler.
Ask: When you are done, ask your child, “How did this make you feel?”
Discuss: Follow up by discussing what it was in the story that made him or her feel this way.