Summer is here and it’s time to start having a good time! So, sit yourselves down and take a browse at these fun sites:
- PBS.org’s Booklights: Books Good Enough to Eat
- Cake Wrecks’ Sweet Reading Sweets
- The first 10 of Flavorwire’s 50 Pop Culture Cakes
- coolest birthday cakes Television, Movie and Book Cakes
Now, as a family, select a book that all of you are familiar with and have enjoyed, and plan to bake your own book-themed cake.
- Choose what flavor cake you want to make
- Decide how you want to decorate your cake. Get creative; there are lots of options: frosting, candy, cookies, fruit, edible flower petals, toys, dolls–whatever else your imagination can dream up.
- Go shopping together to buy whatever ingredients you don’t have around the house.
Have fun creating a cake together.
When you’re done, why not pick out a book to enjoy as a family read-aloud. Slice everyone some cake and begin to read the book together. Just be sure to take turns reading so everyone gets a chance to enjoy eating your scrumptious cake.
And please, take a picture and post it here! I’d love to see, even if I can’t taste, your wonderful creations.